Monday, June 11, 2012

Playdate

I'm a little behind on blogging.  The weather was so nice this weekend that we played outside, swam in the pool and went for a walk at the trail the whole weekend and I didn't spend barely anytime inside or on the computer.

Jacob and I also worked Saturday morning on my nephew's Eagle project for Boy Scouts.  He was planting a barrier of trees and mulch between the town hall and the neighboring property.  He had a good turnout of boys and they were able to get it all done.  Now, he just has to go through his Board of Review and he is an Eagle Scout!  I'm so proud of him!


Friday, Jessi had a play date with three of her little friends from preschool (also my students).  Now, as I mentioned in a previous post, cooking is not on the top of my list.  I actually prefer to clean the house, do laundry, or anything else above cooking.  But there is company coming over, so this gives me even more reasons to put on my apron that my mom made me- the girls have matching ones :)- and try out some more new recipes, which of course are from Pinterest.  (Did I mention how addicted I am to that site?!?!)

Now that I am out of school for the summer, this is the chance for me to do that and get them down pat before going back to work.  Find some healthy and not so healthy recipes that everyone will enjoy.

First up, dessert!  Now, I spotted this on Pinterest and knew I HAD to try it.  It's called Chocolate Chip Cookie n’ Oreo Fudge Brownie Bar.

Chocolate Chip Cookie n’ Oreo Fudge Brownie Bar

My bff, Jaime (who writes The G.I.S.T. on Ryan Vrudney) swears this is going to be way too sweet, that even looking at it makes her teeth hurt and possibly want to throw up due to sweetness.  I, on the other hand, have a MAJOR sweet tooth.  I have NEVER found something that was too rich or too sweet to eat.

I am 110% focused on my recipes.  Yep, there are two recipes for this mountain of deliciousness...one for the cookie dough, which is a different recipe than I usually use, and the one for the brownie mix, which is just a box, but still, I don't want to mess it up.  Not hard to make at all.  (Click on the picture to get the actual recipe)

Cookie dough gets spread first.


Then, layer the Oreos.


Then pour the brownie mix.


Bake at 350F for 45-60 minutes.  Dish out, add some vanilla ice cream and hot fudge.

I have to say that I was disappointed in this dessert :(  First off, it is was hard to get out of the pan, even with the wax paper in the pan.  Second, it didn't taste anywhere near as good as I was hoping from the delicious looking picture.  Now, don't get me wrong, it was still good...but not absolutely mouth-watering amazing, like I was hoping for.

Next up, Crack Potatoes.  Jacob had these at my preschool picnic and loved them.  I didn't try them due to my reluctance of trying new foods and not knowing what was in them, but they sure looked good.  After seeing the recipe, they looked easy enough and it was all stuff I would eat, so they went on the menu for tonight.  These potatoes were amazing!  These were a huge hit.  I made half of the recipe so I wouldn't have an overabundance or have to freeze any.  They were completely gone.  They were super easy to make and didn't even take the whole hour to cook.

Everyone brought dishes to share for dinner.  I like doing this because everyone can help bring a little something and then the whole meal is done by the time we all bring something, and it isn't all the work for one person.

The kiddos ran around, playing inside and outside.  They played in the water table we have also and in the sprinkler.  My mother-in-law even walked her miniature horse over for the kids to see.  Us Moms got to talk and have some adult conversation :)

Now, how about a handout?  I made this phonics packet up where the kiddos can draw three pictures that start with each letter.  You can either do this weekly/daily as you introduce each letter or as a homework activity that spans a couple of days.  You can download it here, at TeachersPayTeachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment