Tuesday, June 5, 2012

I'm turning into a Food Blogger (for now), lol

With school out, I don't have much classroom related to talk about.  I am slowly working on things I want to change for next year, but my BFF Jaime has held me to a new 'law' that I'm not even allowed to think about school stuff until July.  Since THAT'S not going to happen, I promised her I wouldn't go to the school and work on things until July.  Good compromise I guess.

Anyway, back to becoming a food blogger :)  Probably most of you don't want to hear about my normal boring everyday life, but that's what I have to talk about right now.  And with that, comes cooking.

Now, I HATE HATE HATE to cook.  But not if I have company coming over.  Then I enjoy cooking.  I have actually found more excitement in cooking since I discovered Pinterest and all of the great recipes that are out there to try.  So, along with hearing about my life, you can see all the new recipes I am trying or making and posting to Pinterest.

Sunday, I tried a new recipe for Buffalo Chicken & Potato Casserole.  As I was making it, I thought it called for a lot of spices, which might be too much for my family and myself to handle.  I cut all of the spices in half, including the hot sauce, but left the oil as the same amount.  As I'm doing this, I have no idea if this is a good idea or not.  I am in no way a cook.  I do not claim to be.  I cannot throw things together and make them taste good.  I cannot make recipes that are too involved if I am not 110% focused on it.  I can multitask in 18 others areas, but cooking IS NOT one of them.

But, I do it anyway.  I pray that it still tastes okay at least because this is dinner for my whole family and I have nothing else out thawing.  So it's this or cereal...mmmmm.  Oh, I should mention that as I'm almost done scooping the potatoes out of the sauce, the bowl slips out of my hand and drops on the floor.  I spilled the rest of the potatoes but SOMEHOW most of the sauce stayed in the bowl.

An hour after I began, out comes a gorgeous looking, very spicy smelling casserole. I'm a little worried that it is too spicy, even after cutting the spices in half.  I dish it out to cool, and pass it out to everyone to eat.  It is a hit!  Everyone, including the little ones, liked it.  Not too spicy, just enough.  Add a little ranch on the side for dipping and it was perfect.


The picture was an afterthought.  I wish I would have dished it out much neater for a picture, but hey, I'm new to this :)

On to tonight...Tuesday...having a 'School's Out for Summer' party with three other families.  There are 13 kiddos in my house and only four adults.  We all chipped in to buy a sheet pizza and we each contributed a couple of other things.  We get the kiddos food and send them outside to the picnic tables and yard to eat where the dog will clean up any mess that they make :)

I made Stuffed Mushrooms.  I got the recipe from a friend of mine a couple of years ago and have changed the quantities a little.  They are always a huge hit with everyone.  As we are eating them, we joke about putting them on the blog, so we line a few up on the plate and Jaime takes a couple of pictures.  She has a better eye for this than I do.  I'm recruiting her to run over here and snap food pictures all summer, lol.


Stuffed Mushrooms
1 package whole mushrooms, remove stems
1/2 package cream cheese
about 5-6 green onions
bacon

Remove stems from the whole mushrooms.  Wrap each mushroom in a slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick for cooking.

Chop the tops of the green onions into little pieces.  Mix with cream cheese.  Spoon a little cream cheese mixture into the mushroom hole (where the stem was).

Bake at 350 F until bacon is done (about 20-30 minutes).

I have used thick sliced bacon (in this picture) but have also used precooked bacon and they both work fine.

I also made hot ham sandwiches.  These are so easy and I make these every couple of weeks in the house just for a weekend lunch.  Add some garlic pepper fries or fried potatoes, and you have a whole meal done.


For the recipe, I am giving you the quantities for 6 sandwiches.

Hot Ham Sandwiches
1/2 pound of maple ham
1/2 loaf of Italian bread, pre-sliced is easiest
6 slices of provolone cheese
6 mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
1/3 onion, sliced
Mayo

Saute the onions and mushrooms in a little butter until done. 

Place one slice of bread on baking sheet.  Spread a thin layer of mayo on the top side.  Add a little ham.  Add some sauteed mushrooms and onions.  Top with provolone cheese.  Spread a thin layer of mayo on both sides of the top piece of bread.  Put together like a sandwich.

Put in over on LOW broil until starting to crisp up and turn a golden brown.

You might need to turn your baking sheet halfway through so all of the sandwiches crisp up evenly.  My oven tends to get the ones in the back done quicker than the ones in the front.  Also, if you like horseradish sauce you can mix a little into the mayo before you spread it on the bread.

I should mention that this is also not my creation.  My sister-in-law is a CHEF.  Can you believe that?  She makes a lot of good, healthy, fancy-shmanshy stuff that I am too picky to try but look really delicious.  She knew I would eat this though :)

I also made Oreo Layer Dessert.  You can get the recipe and see a picture of it on my Pinterest board.  It is heavenly and was devoured by EVERYONE!

Hope you enjoy at least one of these easy and delicious recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment