Wednesday, June 27, 2012

BBQ Bacon Cheesy Chicken

Lunch today was beginning to turn into a minor disaster.  I was planning on make a new chicken recipe, but realized I didn't have all of the ingredients.  So, plan B was to make chicken a la king, but I didn't have chicken broth.  After a quick phone call to my mother-in-law next door to see if she had either ingredient for either dish I wanted to make (which she didn't), plans had to be adapted quickly so I could have lunch on the table for Dan to leave for work.

I decided to try to make something on my own.  Not necessarily a good choice, since I don't have the knack for cooking like Dan does where he can just throw stuff together and it tastes good.  I don't work that way.  This was going to be a major chance and it was either going to be a hit or burn big time.


So here is how you make BBQ Bacon Cheesy Chicken.

I started with chicken tenderloins, pounded them thin.  This was fun!  I didn't have a mallet and didn't want to search for a hammer so I improvised.  I covered the chicken with wax paper and used a can of veggies that I was going to open and use anyway to pound them.  Sprinkle both sides with pepper.  Then I threw them on the griddle until they were done.

Next, I laid them in a baking dish and covered them with BBQ sauce, bacon bits, and a mix of cheddar and mozzarella cheese.  I baked them in the oven for about 15 minutes.

I also made green bean casserole.  Hey, it's not just a dish that you make a Thanksgiving.  We eat this year round!  I cheated on the rice.  I just heated up an Uncle Ben's pack of long grain & wild rice in the microwave for 90 seconds.

The chicken was DELICIOUS!  It was seasoned perfectly, very tender and flavorful.  It had a little kick to it because of the pepper and BBQ sauce, but not enough to not want to eat it.  Dan loved it and the kids ate it too, which you know makes it a hit!

Chalk one up for me!

In other news, it has been a busy time at our house.  Dan and Jacob bailed hay this week with my father-in-law and Jacob's friend.  My father-in-law just mowed and bailed the back field behind our house, which looks wonderful when it's mowed down.  I love the smell of fresh cut hay, seeing the field freshly mowed and being able to see so much farther to the woods.

(Taken off my back porch zooming in as far as I could)

The baby birds have also hatched!  I think there are three babies in the nest but I can't tell for sure.  I don't want to get too close for fear that momma and/or dad are going to attack me if they think I'm a threat to their babies. 

(You can see one tiny head sticking up next to the momma bird)

Jacob gets his 4-H chickens and ducks tonight.  That is going to be exciting having them here and watching them grow.  I'm really excited about the ducks since we have never had little ones around before.  I'll post pictures of those later in the week.

Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment