Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Muffins with Mom!

I have been so super crazy busy the last couple of week so I am sorry for the delay in updates.  On a personal note, please pray for my friend Jaime & her husband Ryan.  I mentioned before that Ryan was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer (I think I mentioned that on here already?).  They are currently at the Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Illinois.  They have five kiddos.  The three older ones have been staying with me since Tuesday because they have school, and the two little ones have been with their aunt and uncle because they do not have school.  We learned last night that they will not be back today (Saturday) as expected and will not be back until Tuesday.  They are all having a hard time with this...the kiddos are missing their parents and the parents are definitely missing their kiddos.  Lots of tears last night from everyone, Jaime said.  So please pray and forgive me for not updating sooner :)

So on to school stuff.  Last week we took an AWESOME field trip to Wagon Trails in Vienna, OH.  If you haven't been there before, I suggest you go.  The kiddos and adults had a blast riding in the covered truck and feeding all of the animals.  They had water buffalo, camels, long horn cattle, ostrich, pigs, different kinds of deer, zebras, donkeys.  It was really a lot of fun.

We talked about caterpillars/butterflies a couple weeks ago and are STILL waiting for the caterpillars to be delivered.  They should have been here 2 weeks ago but we don't have them for some reason.  A phone call to the company on Monday should clear things up but now I'm hoping they all turn to butterflies before we leave for summer break on the 24th!

Well, this week (and part of last) we were preparing for our "Muffins with Mom" celebration that took place on Friday.

The kiddos made crafts that I found on Oriental Trading which hold a picture.  They were either a butterfly or flower design.  They were super cute but not easy like their description implied.  I actually had to hot glue half of it together before the kiddos could finish it, but at least they got to do the important part, which was decorate it and personalize it their way.


Both classes also made cards for their mom.  We painted their hands green to resemble a flower and then used their finger to dot petals onto each stem.  Mrs. Ma and I added a little brown pot that said "Happy Mother's Day!" and it was complete.



The kiddos also answered questions about their mom.  Boy, were some of these funny!  Here are some of the questions and their answers:

How old is your mom?
*These answers ranged from 5 to 77, lol!

What color is her hair?
*One kiddo said gray, oops!

What does your mom work hard at?
*Their job
*Cleaning the house
*The gym

What makes your mom smart?
*She always knows what I am doing
*She knows about taking care of kids
*She knows everything

What does your mom always say to you?
*I love you
*Clean your room
*Be good
*Leave brother/sister alone

What is your favorite thing about your mom?
*Her hugs and kisses
*Her cooking
*Watching her clean the house (lots of laughs here)

These were so cute!  The kids answered them really thoughtfully and seriously.





We also made the moms flowers and the kiddos told us what they love about their mom and we wrote that on each petal.  They signed their name on the leaf.



Finally, Friday arrived and it was time for Muffins with Mom!  I made homemade banana chocolate chip muffins, chocolate zucchini chocolate chip muffins and then two muffin mixes of triple berry and apple cinnamon.  My mom made some homemade blueberry muffins, which were the biggest hit I think :)  Everything was set up, coffee was brewed (thanks to Mrs. M, because this gal doesn't know how to make coffee since I don't drink it!) and milk and OJ ready to pour.




When everyone arrived, the kiddos sang a song to their moms called "I love Mommy" which is to the tune of "Where is thumbkin?".  Then we enjoyed all of the muffins and visited with each other.  It was a wonderful day!  Happy Mother's Day!

10 comments:

  1. Hola, un abrazo; te saludo desde Colombia
    Me encanta tu trabajo
    El Señor te bendiga
    Un abrazo enorme

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice idea....the handprint flowers.

    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such cute ideas. Do you have the lyrics to the "I Love Mommy" song?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The song is to the tune of "Are you sleeping?". The words are: I love Mommy, I love Mommy, Yes I do, Yes I do, Mommys are for hugging, Mommys are for kissing, I love you, I love you. We did some simple motions also. They hugged themselves for hugging, blew a kissing for kissing and pointed to their moms when they said I love you at the end.

      Delete
  4. I really love the Handprint flower pot. I think I am having my little girl do that for her granny (or Oma as she calls her :) ) this year. She'll love it :)
    Thanks for the idea!

    Anna
    http://the-anna-diaries.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They were a lot of fun to do with the kiddos

      Delete
  5. I love your ideas they are so cute and esay and inexpensive. I'm going to use them with my grandchildren for their mothers.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will love it! While you are at it, have them make one for you too :)

      Delete
  6. Hi, I love the hand print flower pot, the children that I care for will enjoy making this for Mother's Day, I just wish that I had a few more kids so they could have fun making this. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was thinking I might use the handprint flower pot with my kids in my Children's Ministries class for Mother's Day. It looks easy and kids love to get their hands into fingerpaints.

    ReplyDelete